Saturday, April 01, 2006

Greetings from Naga City, Bikol, Philippines

Peace Corps has taken the next step and moved batch 265 (that includes yours truly) from the cushy Manilla resort to a less cushy resort in Naga City, Bikol (Luzon Island). The food is delicious, although 5 meals per day can add up to a serious belly. The day goes something like this:

Wake up at 5:30
Shower
Breakfast at 6:30
Morning classes at 8:00
Second breakfast (Merienda) at 10:00
Mid-Morning class at 10:30
Lunch at 12:00
Afternoon Class at 1:00
Second Lunch (Afternoon Merienda) at 3:00
Late Class at 3:30
Dinner at 6:00
Free time after that

When we were still in Manilla, I realized that the sandals I have (Keens) are absolutely perfect for hacky-sack and found that I have developed some body awareness from all of that rock-climbing. Unfortunately for me, the guy who owned the sack I was using went to a different hub site. In order to remedy the situation, I used the free day we had when first arriving in Naga City to stitch one from fabric I removed from pants and sheets. +1 of hacky-sack making for Page!!!

But Page, what is this magical hub site you are talking about? Well, strange third person voice, I will explain the structure of my training program. Thanks Page!!

Arrival in Detroit - 76 volunteers
Arrival in Manilla - Still 76 volunteers
Training classes for a week - 76 divided by one training site still equals 76
Last friday, wake up at 3:45 to get on a plane to respective hub sites. These hub sites are divided according to geographic region, since there are 100 or so recognized languages in the Philippines. I will be learning Bikol-Naga (Bikol is the region and Naga is the local city dialect).

Arrival at hub site in Naga City - 13 volunteers; others are in Northern Luzon, Palawan Island, The Western Visayas and the Eastern Visayas.

Next week, split into cluster sites - 4 PCTs (Peace Corps Trainee), 4 different host families and 1 LCF (Language Cultural Facilitator; goddam acronyms)

9 weeks from now, finish training and go to my ACTUAL site. Unfortunately, the Peace Corps will not allow me to divulge the exact location of my site for security reasons, but I will be able to tell you in what province it resides...when I know.


Although I wont post my number on this website, I have sent it to everyone in my addressbook. If, for some reason, you did not recieve that email, yell at me for being a worthless pile of pig turds and I will send it to you. The best time to reach me is before 8:00 AM or after 5:00 PM here (that translates to 7:00 PM and 4:00 AM respectively for Washington DC, and 5:00 PM and 2:00 AM for Denver).



Side note - first vacation of PC (although it seems like a vacation the whole time)

WHALE SHARKS!!! http://www.camperspoint.com/article.php3?id_article=30

I get to swim with the world's largest fish tomorrow morning. This animal was my favorite as a kid, so I can't wait. I hear they can grow to be the size of a School bus; that's right, a fish the size of a bus and Page swimming along side with a big ass grin on his face.

Well, off for now, keep the emails and comments coming. You readers are my support base, and don't worry, I will send real letters soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mom sez: if you're eating 5 meals a day make them small & light - yikes! Congrats on fabricating a hacky-sack - sounds like fun. How big IS a whale shark anyway? Big as a bus? The mouth is really wide, right? Is it scary to be swimming in range?
I made up a sheet of address labels - are you going to have the same address for a while? Also bought stamps - first oz. is $.85, $.81 per add'l oz. Did you send the New Yorker your new address? It's going to be expensive for me to forward them to you, and what will I do with 2 copies? The idea was for you to have reading material...

Anonymous said...

I second your mom on the eating of light meals. either that or skip the meal and just eat the desserts. Five of those a day are better anyways :)
Sounds like you are having an awesome time, and the babel going on in the background on the phone last night was awesome!!!
You gotta teach me when you get back...as soon as you understand what they are saying to ya.
love ya!
Christine