Saturday, June 03, 2006

Lots and lots of SWEARING........-in, that is.

If you can read this or if someone is reading this to you or if you have some special telepsychic link with the internet so you just absorb information, then you will know that I am now a 100% official US Peace Corps volunteer. The official swearing-in ceremony was earlier this week and the last training session has been given.

Our final set of training sessions were held in Los Banos, Laguna Province at a hot springs resort called Lake View. Go figure that a popular destination in a REALLY HOT COUNTRY would be a REALLY HOT SPRING!! The pool felt like someone had made one giant warm spot through their pants and filled the pool with it. All of the volunteers from Bikol, Northern Luzon, Southern Luzon, Mindoro and Palawan were at this training event; I got to see a lot of people who I might never have seen otherwise and some I may never see again.

The night after swearing was a crazy party of videoke and alcohol at a GRO bar with 30 of the volunteers from the day's events. Although the term GRO refers to "Guest Relations Officer," aka whore, I have no reason to think that any volunteers have partaken in such activities.

Last week, during the last sessions at Penafrancia resort near Naga city (my training site) we decided to take a day to go to the brand new wakeboarding complex that was built by the governor in this last year. You know there is a serious corruption problem when the Governor builds a wakeboarding ring for 100 million pesos and many people still die from the lack of decent health care/clean water every day. Now that I have stated my opinions on its immorality, I should tell you that the wakeboarding was freakin' sweet. That was quite a good time.

http://www.camsurwatersportscomplex.com/cwc/pages/index.htm


I spoke with my supervisor in the last week about the actual work I will be doing and the rate at which it needs to get done. Basically, he is giving me a month of settling-in time, after which I will be thrown into the mix and have a large report to finish by mid-september. Basically, in the next 3 months I have to choose, rationally, the dividing lines for all of the water districts in the province; they have yet to be looked at. I will relate more information as far as my project goes when it comes time to begin work.

For now, I am sitting in the Peace Corps office in Manila, nursing a hangover from last night's sendoff for the RVC (current volunteer who helped us coordinate our training and is now a good friend) Corey. Manila is large, dirty, full of prostitutes, cheap by US standards and generally chaotic. In general, I am excited to be leaving tomorrow, but not before I buy some things like snorkeling gear. I will be getting SCUBA certified in the near future, so that is kinda awesome.

For now, keep the comments coming, they keep me sane. I miss each and every one of you guys and can't wait to share more experiences with you.

CYA LATA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, reading your Blog really makes me want to join Peace Corps. Its either Peace Corps or Graduate school next year...I suppose i have a few months to think about it. I got your letter, thanks so much for the picture. I know I would love it but at the same time I worry about putting off graduate school for too long...I need to reach a decision soon. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Joan Murtagh tells me Dwight Joseph is now the proud father of a (premature) daughter born in late May 2 months early - she weighed 2 lbs 1 oz at birth I believe. D's world is now completely upside-down, according to Pam Wolfe.
Stuff is just going on EVERYWHERE.
Next week I will be chaperoning several days of "beach week" for your little bro & his buds in Delaware.
Lotsa Love, Ma

Anonymous said...

YEA! congrats Page.
I got your letter as well.Those things take so long to get here. It sounds like you are having so much fun over there. We all miss you tons. Alex, Dara and I are gunna play Moffia on Friday at our BBQ in honor of you.
muah!
Christine