Monday, July 03, 2006

Long weekend, project developments

Isn't it great how politicians can own companies that they can then make laws to protect? I think that there is no better way to do things; I mean, who knows better what a company needs to be successful and at the same time socially conscious than a democratically elected politician or spouse? Oh wait...

Since I am not really supposed to be too inflamatory towards the country that is letting me stay here on its own good will, I will leave a few links sitting here. If you read them and make your own conclusions, then I can't control that.

GreenPeace report on Lafeyette Mining

Lafayette hires former head of DENR
"Sonny — the Aussies believe — can make their troubles with the government regulatory agencies go away"

WTF!??!?!?


On the more positive side of things, I was almost struck by lightning on the way back from this weekend's not-quite-the-fourth of july party. Almost all of the volunteers from the Bikol region came to party in Donsol (the place known for the Butanding...whale sharks). On the way to prepare for the party, Julia, the volunteer who lives in Donsol, told me that the Filcab driver asked her about her party. Imagine heading back home to get ready for some big event and the cab-driver knows about it and has probably invited his buddies; only in the Philippines.

We rented a videoke machine, we drank lots of beer, we cooked and ate lots of chicken and fish, we danced, we sang, we made merry, we told ghost stories, we made smores, we bought fireworks and got too drunk to set them off (so we didn't). Lightning, oh yeah... On the way back from the party, we all rented a van and were going over a hill when a lightning bolt blew up a tree about 100 feet from the car. By 'blew up,' I mean tree, flash of light, no tree, loud noise, obcenities, soiled undergarments, laughter.

More to come later when I can get away from the internet long enough to actually have some more experiences...

That Guy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drunken tree-explosion witnessing should be an olympic sport judged on the degree of soiling that occurs.
- Louis

Anonymous said...

dude...stay away from lightning bolts!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above statements.
:)
-Christine

Anonymous said...

Page,

This is Tom Thorward. I last saw you at your brother's Eagle Scout ceremony.

As you may recall, I mentioned to you that I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Philippines (Group 23) and that I was stationed in the Bikol Region.

Well, I also lived in Legaspi and taught at Aquinas University, as well as serving on the Bikol Development Board staff. One of my projects was in Tiwi, and I occasionally got out to Catanduanes to do, as you put it, "Less than nothing."

I'm following your adventures with great interest.

You can email me at tthorward@ngsnet.com.