Thursday, October 05, 2006

Greetings after 6 MONTHS IN THE PEACE CORPS

You may remember me as that guy who stopped posting on his blog more than a month ago for no particular reason. You may also remember me as that friend/relative/acquaintance/bitter enemy/personal trainer to whom you loved to talk at one time. Now there is a new way you can think about that guy Page: the guy who survived the biggest typhoon the Philippines has seen in 20 years fast asleep on a bus in the middle of nowhere.

I have not been able to post to this blog or answer any email for the last month due to the severity of the storm and the remote-ness of the training site of Peace Corps. For most of you, don't take it personally; I am not ignoring you. For the remaining few (you know who you are) I am ignoring you because of those nasty comments you made about my weight...bastards....

Last wednesday, the 27th, I was on my way back from Manila. I had just finished my Peace Corps technical training. I decided to take the day bus because I hate spending the night in such an uncomfortable place. The day bus usually takes about 12 hours. At around 5:30 PM, the rain picked up and the bus slowed down. I ate a big meal at the dinner stop because I figured it might be a long ride. Boy was I right.

We came upon a downed tree at around 7:30 PM and the bus driver decided to wait out the night there on the road (this being the only road leading from Manila to Legazpi). The wind was howling. The bus was shaking. A few times during the night, I awoke with a start to the sound of a large tree falling on the roof. I thanked my lucky stars that I was in a shelter designed to be watertight and not made out of tin and bailing wire.

In the morning, the remaining 45 minute trip to Legazpi took 6 hours as we passed tree after tree blocking the road. At every tree there was a team of at least 6 or 8 local residents who had their Bolos (Machetes) out and were wailing away on every branch they could see. I could see a lot of branches that needed wailing. I have pictures that will be published later on that show some of this mayhem.

THE KICKER: When I got back to my site, I knew that I had about a week to find a new place to live because the initial signed agreement between me and my host family was about to expire. Instead of taking into consideration that maybe it would be difficult to find a new apartment, what with all the broken houses and lack of water or electricity, SHE KICKED ME OUT! The worst part is, she couldn't even come out and say it! She had to be a passive-aggressive [CENSORED] and not even actually answer me when I asked if I could maybe extend the housing agreement a little bit longer!! When I mentioned the idea, she shook her head, got up and went to hide in her room! It is as though, because she is a Filipino who is well off, she can ignore any cultural ideas of accommodation and "helping her fellow man." I am moving into a hotel temporarily tomorrow. I could rant on this subject for many an hour, but you guys get the gist.

Training was cool, we learned how to make sand and gravel water filters that cost almost nothing. My project here at Aquinas will probably involve them in some way over the next year. The Bio-Sand filter is a great idea. I will post more on that at another time.

Oh yeah, and if you come visit me, we are going to Boracay island and sitting on a beach for an extended period of time.

Page

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty awesome story. It sounds very comforting to be 'safe' in a bus during a tropical storm with trees falling on it. All Jurassic Park an' shit. Glad to see that you are still afloat.
<3
L-Money

Anonymous said...

Dude, I wish I was out there..I need a good adventure. Sorry about getting kicked out of your place man. Hang in there though. I'm most definitely going to visit you next summer, and we will definitely have to go to that beach. Good luck finding a place. Take care, and good job on not breaking rule #1! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Just a reminder - everything on a blog is PUBLIC - don't cast aspersions on identifiable individuals - such words do not just vanish into the vacuum never to return.
Glad you are safe (fun on a bus!) & have landed someplace.
Love, MA

Anonymous said...

My recommendations:

Some logs and thatch and a nice flat spot on the beach. Then you can sling mud at whomever you choose and the worst consequence is that someone might burn down your cozy bungalow...

...

Or maybe just an appartment in the city. Yeah, do that and then next summer we'll come crash on your floor for an extended period of rootless wandering beatnik expat detached decompression. See ya then!

i-pod

E. S. de Montemayor said...

isn't it ironic to note that the poorer a Filipino gets, the more hospitable & considerate they are...

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's your Uncle Tom again!

As you will recall, you have a large Philippino family living near Ormoc City in Leyte, through your AUNT Ogie.

Ogie and I are going to be spending Christmas there, from Dec 24 until after Jan 1, and we're hoping that you might be able to join us.

We have about 7 Nipa huts on the beach and its really very relaxing and nice and I'm looking forward to staying there until I just can't take the heat any longer and I get a room at the nearest hotel with air conditioning and modern showers, and you're welcome to join
me at the hotel or stay on the beach.

I don't know just how far you are from a commercial airport, but I would be happy to pay for your RT air to Tacloban (the nearest airport to our property in Leyte). It would be faster than a bus, but perhaps less safe in a typhoon.

Please email me and let me know if you can make it, and we'll work out the details.

Be good.

Tom