Friday, February 16, 2007

Work?

I don't know who put this crazy organization together, but the idea of actually having stuff to do is a bit foreign to me. Joke lang (in case my boss is reading this)!!!

This week has seen the installation of the first of many BioSand filters along with a poster on my campus. Kids and faculty alike have been coming up to me and asking how it works and where they can get one if it really works as well as I say! Yay for small victories!

On top of building, installing and preparing to give a half-day seminar on BioSand filters, I am also working with the NGO "A Single Drop" to develop a program to bring around 700 filters to the province of Albay within about 6 months. These numbers will change, but for the sake of scale you should know that 700 filters is a CRAPLOAD!

This project will also serve to develop some kind of disaster preparedness plan for the poorer areas of Albay. This region gets hit by 20 typhoons every year with only minimal typhoon preparation or education. It seems obvious to us Americans to say things like "keep extra blankets around," or "make sure you have some clean water saved," but when you can't afford food or simply have no education, your life is lived very fatalistically. "Bahala na" is a phrase commonly used here to describe the attitude of the Philippine poor. Literally translated, it means "it is up to god," or "come what may." But I digress.

We are planning on helping rally the people to help themselves, especially when it comes to the massive amount of annual typhoon damage recieved by Bikol (not that things are regularly as bad as they were this year).

Anyhoo, things are going well here in Bikolandia; too much work to do, crazy hectic city life, fun when I have a free moment, and of course just sitting on my roof watching the stars.

End of ramblings, more serious posts when I have my serious face on.

Ingat kamo!

No comments: