Friday, November 09, 2007

Island Adventures from Far, Far Away

Let me tell you a little story about a place I know.
I got back from there about a week ago.
It’s in a category by itself.
Just above the continental shelf.
With a machete and a sidekick too,
I went exploring on Rapu-Rapu.



I had a plan to go help some folks,


By cleaning water and telling bad jokes.


We swam in the falls and forded the streams,


And were consumed by our sweat in the dense jungle steam.


We trekked and we hiked and we saw water sources,


But broke every hour for the day’s many courses.


Some people drink water straight from the river,


While others use tubes of bamboo to deliver.


We ate many odd foods and had too many laughs


But honestly, I could’ve taken more baths...


Come rain or come shine we’d make our way


Each beach to each beach knowing not where we’d stay


This woman is rolling some betel-nut for me


And this banana-sized spider hung from a tree.


For Elmer, deceased, I write this short poem


For the hat that he got me, I guess that I owe him...


RIP Elmer Casillan (1958-2007)
Father; friend; co-worker; goofball.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fine tribute to a counterpart/ co-worker!
Also, that's a great hat.
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Page,
Sorry to hear about your co-worker..You're really such a good writer ha...I'm really enjoying your style..mixing your sense of humor or your pasawayness with seriousness of information about your work and some cultural aspects on it!I love your pictures too!Keep it up!
the other pasaway,
elena